In June 2013, ISS Technical Services entered into an energy-led engineering agreement with NHBC at their Head Office site in Milton Keynes.
Unique in its approach, the contract sees ISS Technical Services
combine their M&E maintenance expertise with a ground breaking
approach to Energy Management.
At the outset of the contract a comprehensive
Energy Audit and Performance Modelling exercise was conducted and an
action plan, designed to drive down consumption, was produced. The
report’s main project recommendations were agreed and completed within
the first three months of the new agreement.
- LED Lighting upgrades, both within the building and the car park
- The installation of PIR’s to control air conditioning in sporadically occupied meeting rooms
- A comprehensive BMS optimisation program
- The installation of Variable Speed Drives on a number of large pumps
- A detailed study of the building’s out of hour’s consumption patterns
- Producing an ISO 50001 compliant Site Energy Policy and distributing this to staff as part of a wider Energy Awareness Campaign
With the contract’s initial projects complete, ISS Technical
Services’s dedicated Energy Team has been able to accurately evaluate
the building’s potential and establish optimised baselines for future
monitoring and targeting. In doing so, the team have fully utilised ISS
Technical Service’s award winning M&T software application – EMAP.
The NHBC Head Office was already a well maintained and energy
efficient building. Nonetheless, through our unique integrated approach,
results for the first nine months of the contract have been very
positive, having saved 9% on gas and 12% on electricity compared to last
With consumption savings surpassing all initial targets in the coming
months, it is anticipated that a second phase of Energy Projects will
commence, including an extensive sub-metering project, further LED
lighting upgrades and possible the installation of a renewable energy
source on site.