Client: Riverside in Carlisle
Contract Period: 2006 to date
ISS has worked in partnership with Riverside in Carlisle since 2006, the original contract having been extended in 2009 under a TPC 2005 Partnering Contract, designed to improve efficiency, reduce wasted time and effort, and promote mutually advantageous long term partnerships. Riverside is one of the leading social housing and regeneration organisations in the UK, owning or managing around 50,000 homes, from Irvine to Ipswich.
Works Carried Out
The contract is for the provision of grounds maintenance services to approximately 6,100 properties, including communal gardens, housing areas, open space areas, playgrounds and Partial Dependency Areas.
The primary services delivered are grass cutting, shrub and hedge maintenance, tree works, allotment maintenance, maintenance of water courses, cleaning, removal of fly tipping, litter picking, soiling and seeding and the rectification of deficiencies to comply with HHSRS.
An Assisted Garden Service is provided, where tenants are able to call upon the services of ISS to maintain their gardens. This is offered on a fortnightly basis to vulnerable tenants by a two-man team who maintain lawns and hedges, pick litter, and clear leaves and snow, amongst other similar services.
ISS additionally provide a two-man fully employed specialist team to act as a ‘one stop shop’ delivering everything from hard landscaping, through tree works and assisting with skip drops, to environmental improvements. This is a responsive team that reacts within 48 hours of every tenant request.
- ISS retains a Tenant Liaison Officer who undertakes joint inspections with tenant representatives and produces Quality Audits reflecting their estate walkabouts. The Officer responds to all issues, within a maximum response time of two hours, giving tenants the peace of mind and confidence that a solution is only a telephone call away. All issues are monitored via ISS’s Customer Support Unit.
- Tenant liaison has been one of the successes of the partnership, where ISS, as part of the Estate Team, made up of representatives from the City Council, the police and the residents, conduct weekly checks of the area. Residents’ Groups are also attended where neighbourhood needs and requirements are aired and taken on board by the appropriate resource, for attention and rectification, where required.
- A programme of continuous improvement has been fostered by the use of open book accounting and partnership working, allowing full transparency and greater accountability. A Core Group comprising representatives from both ISS and Riverside in Carlisle make joint decisions on contract issues and set partnership objectives.
- A sustainable objective is for ISS to create new apprenticeships. Trainees have been recruited via Newton Rigg College in Carlisle and are given basic training in horticulture, health & safety and machinery via on-site mentors and external tutors.
- Environmental initiatives through the partnership have included the planting of deciduous hedge plants, various tree planting projects and environmental landscaping projects.
In April 2009, Riverside in Carlisle extended ISS’s contract responsibilities with the inclusion of the Void Remediation Garden Service, based on our ability to deliver continuous improvement and offer specialist horticultural knowledge. In order to maintain the void property project, ISS employed two Riverside operatives, who are responsible for making good, and if necessary re-landscaping, void gardens to a manageable standard in readiness for the new tenants.